How can I serve my spouse with my complaint for divorce if I can’t find my spouse’s address?

How can I file for divorce if I can’t find my spouse’s address?

In Utah, if you can persuade the court with which you have filed your law suit that you have made, without success, a duly diligent search for a way to serve the defendant, the court will allow you to serve the defendant “by publication,” meaning by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the city where the defendant was last known to have been found or publication by posting notice in the courthouse, or online, etc. The point being that if there is no other way to achieve service of process personally upon the defendant or by mailing a copy of the complaint and summons to his/her U.S. Mail address or e-mail address or by text message to his/her cell phone, etc., then service by publication is what the court will permit, so that your law suit can proceed.

See Utah Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 4

Utah Family Law, LC | | 801-466-9277

Click to listen highlighted text!