How much are the typical fees for a divorce?
According to lawyers.com, as reported June 18, 2019, the average cost of a divorce in my jurisdiction where I practice divorce law (Utah) is $13,200. This is based upon an average of the costs incurred all divorces; those that are settled and those that are litigated. Clearly, some divorces cost much less than $13,200, some much more. Indeed, the average for a divorce fighting over child custody was $19,800, fighting over alimony issues was $18,200, and fighting over property division was $18,500.
The article broke down the costs even more for Utah:
- cost of the divorce with alimony in dispute when settled: average cost $14,100
- cost of the divorce with alimony in dispute when taken to trial: $27,500
- cost of divorce with property issues in dispute when settled: $13,200
- cost of divorce with property issues in dispute when taken to trial: $$23,200
- average cost of divorce for Utah for high net worth couples: $33,700
The same article has the cost figures for every state in the U.S.A. that you can access at this link. Business Insider published an article February 14, 2020 on the costs of divorce by each state in the U.S.A. that you can read here, at this link. USA Today published figures January 21, 2020 in this article.
Utah Family Law, LC | divorceutah.com | 801-466-9277