If custody order says mother and child are not allowed to leave the state, is there any chance the court would allow them to go on a vacation to another country if the father says no?
I cannot speak for all jurisdictions, but I can answer the question based upon the law where I practice divorce and family law (Utah):
First, if the court were to order a parent not to leave the state (just the parent, not the parent with the child), that would likely be held unconstitutional, as a civil court does not have the authority to infringe upon an individual’s right to travel without a compelling reason.
Second, if the court were to order a parent not to leave the state with the child, that may be within the court’s authority to do so, especially if:
- there were evidence that you have tried to abscond with the child to a foreign country (whether the foreign country is beyond the reach of the Hague Convention) or are at risk of absconding with the child to a foreign country.
- the custody award, such as a joint physical custody award, was conditioned upon the parties residing within a certain geographical distance of each other.
That stated, if:
- there is no concern about you absconding with the children to a foreign country, never to return;
- the foreign country to which you want to travel on vacation is not a dangerous place (i.e., a place where Americans are routinely kidnapped or killed and/or where there are wars, insurrections, and/or dangerous natural disasters occurring);
- there is no harm that a child would suffer by traveling with you internationally (such as a certain health or medical or mental health condition that makes international travel a serious danger to the child), I cannot see any reason why a court would deny you the right to travel to a foreign country on vacation; and
- there is no other compelling reason to deny you and the child(ren) the opportunity to vacation internationally,
I doubt that any court would bar you from travelling internationally with the child(ren).
Utah Family Law, LC | divorceutah.com | 801-466-9277