How do you go about getting a copy of your divorce papers?

If you have a lawyer: your lawyer can and should give you a copy. 

If you don’t have a lawyer: 

  • go to the courthouse (if the courthouse is open and allowing members of the public to enter the building) and go to the clerk’s office to request a copy (for which you will likely be required to pay); or 
  • call or e-mail the court clerk’s office to request that a copy be mailed or emailed to you (again, don’t be surprised if you are required to pay for the copy, even if it’s emailed to you). 

If you don’t have the telephone number or e-mail address for the court clerk’s office, looking them up online can be hard, if you are not familiar with the precise name of the court where your divorce case was handled. 

So if you find it difficult to find this information, try calling a local attorney’s office, apologize for inconveniencing them, but explain that you are trying to get a copy of your divorce decree (or other documents from the court’s file), and see if that attorney’s office will give you the telephone number or e-mail address. 

Utah Family Law, LC | | 801-466-9277  

Tags: , , , , , ,
Click to listen highlighted text!