If the Mother Loses Custody of the Child to a Third Party Does the Father Still Have to Pay Child Support

There are many weird twists that a case like the one you’ve described can take, but generally speaking (and I must speak generally because I do not know how the laws of every different jurisdiction function), if a parent loses custody of a child to a third party (such as a guardian or foster parent, to name just two possibilities), then if the other parent is ordered to pay child support for the child, that parent will almost never be ordered to pay child support to a parent who does not have actual physical custody of that child. It is far more likely that child support would be ordered to be paid to the person(s) who has/have actual physical custody of the child.

Utah Family Law, LC | | 801-466-9277

Tags: ,
Click to listen highlighted text!