How likely is a judge to give the non-custodial parent 50-50 parenting time after the primary custodial parent has been the primary parent for three years?

Before you read another word, know this: the answer in these situations is, “It depends on many and varying factors.” Nobody likes that kind of answer, but it’s the truth here.

Consult several attorneys in your jurisdiction about whether you may have a good case for a change of custody, if you believe you may. Many attorneys who consider themselves or bill themselves as “good and knowledgeable” attorneys on this subject don’t really know. Get second, third, and fourth opinions (but be warned: if an attorney tells you what sounds too good to be true, it likely is too good to be true and is being told to you to part you from your money).

Generally speaking, if no circumstances pertaining to the child custody award have changed substantially and materially during that three-year period, it is highly unlikely that the court would modify the child custody award and award the non-custodial parent custody of the children.

So, just what is a substantial and material change in circumstances pertaining to the child custody award? I cannot speak to how all jurisdictions define it, but in Utah (where I practice divorce and family law), the substantial and material change in circumstances that will lead to a change in the child custody award is overwhelmingly a change for the worse in the custodial parent’s circumstances. Even if the non-custodial parent could indisputably prove that he/she has significantly bettered himself/herself as a parent, if the custodial parent has become no worse than he/she was when the custody award was originally made, if his/her circumstances are substantially unchanged, then a modification custody will not likely be deemed appropriate or in the best interest of the child(ren).

But what if a court expressly stated that a parent was not awarded sole or joint custody due to suffering from some defect, that but for that defect he/she would have been awarded custody, and that the parent has since remedied the defect? In Utah, that could be a basis for modifying the child custody award. (See Hogge v. Hogge, 649 P.2d 51 (Supreme Court of Utah 1982)

If neither parent’s circumstances have substantially and materially changed, but the child’s circumstances have substantially and materially changed since the original custody award was made such that it would be in the child’s best interest for custody of the child to change, that could be a legitimate basis for seeking to modify the child custody award.

Utah Family Law, LC | | 801-466-9277

Tags: , , , , ,
Click to listen highlighted text!